Thursday, September 30, 2010

UV Mapping

Yesterday I began the long process of UV mapping my character. I haven't previously managed to UV map my own creations with any great success, and so far its not going badly. I am UV mapping using the tools built into maya, although in the near futute I think I'm going to download UV layout to make my life easier and save a lot of time. But I did feel before I take the easy route I should do a couple of models the hard way. For the most part the UVs are looking too bad on this model. There are a few bits of stretching here and there (thankfully I've managed to keep most of it in the areas that you can hide it) and there are also a lot of seams due to the most common shape being cylindrical but these can be covered up during the texturing process with the clone stamp tool and so it shouldn't be a problem. At the end of the day I'm happy I've got this far and am looking for to texturing on of my own creations more than anything else, once I get to that stage I can look map at the workflow and the creation of the uv maps and be really critical about what should have been done better and how it could be improved.


No comments:

Post a Comment