Thursday, February 3, 2011

Clip Re-model

This is the third time I have remodelled this character, each time I have learnt something new about the process of character modelling, and will hopefully mean that future characters I create are much better from the start. The key learning points in this re-model have been creating geometry that actually deforms well when animated. This meant a lot of simple things really, making sure to have at least three edge loops on any joint which deformed, in the most case this was true for the old model, with the exception of areas such as the top of leg. The big improvements was mainly lowering the number of unnecessary polygons, the character is now as low as 5000 tris from just over 9000. At the moment he is looking more like a hi end ps2 character which I am happy with at this stage, I dont have the time in this project to be creating next gen level character models, sadly. Another big improvement was the accessories and how they sit on the model, I found some good advice that said accesories should either sit on top of verticies or match the edge flow of the body beneath. This way when skinned they wont intersect the model and maintain their position. I also spent some time time re-modelling the head, with much better edge flow the only issue is I am now not satisfied with how the head looks visually (which is annoying) but for now I dont have time to spend more time remodelling it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment