Monday, February 21, 2011

Cardboard Cutout Character

Crikey its been over a week since I posted any work up, this is rather bad really, especially as I have been doing lots. I guess my excuse is, and this is a common excuse for me, that I've been doing so much work its hard to take a break and actually blog it. But anyway a little catch up on my business of animation project, which has fallen on the backburner this week much to my annoyance. At the moment I'm just putting bits and pieces together, texturing, lighting and in the case of Isaac modelling. Once all this is out of the way I need to rig Isaac then I can begin animating, by which point I will have posted up some of my story boards. I have in previous posts done my best to explain this whole cutout style I'm going for, as part of an exercise in which I try and create more stylized work in maya. This post is about my superhero Character and will hopefully demonstrate pretty well how the cutout idea is going to look and work. I am really pleased with the effect and am really looking forward to finishing up the bullies and putting them through the process. I achieved this by doing a final drawing, scanning it into the computer, tracing the line art in photoshop to neaten it up, painting the colours schemes, adding shadows using the polygon lasso some bucket fills and a tiny bit of gausian blur, then opening up maya I used the image as a reference and built the character using the create polygon tool, I then triangulated it (I dont need good topology as its not deforming in the same way a 3D character will) then extruded it, created some uvs and applied the image. Simple. The characters remaining to be done in this style are just the bullies, babies pram and potentially a silhouetted crowd of newspaper reporters.

No comments:

Post a Comment