Monday, November 28, 2011

The next design idea I entertained for a bit but ultimately decided that I wasn't so sure about was horns. Based on the kind of bestial look I wanted in the character and the kinds of animal skulls etc that I was looking at for reference, horns were an idea from rather early on. I used some previous sketches and drew quick horns on to see how I felt about them. None of the horn drawings are particularly refined which was due to the fact that as I drew them I really wasn't feeling them as being part of the character. In the same way that I didn't think the larger boar teeth had worked I felt that horns give a creature as majestic look. A stag or bull with large horns in a more physically impressive and dominant character and that certainly didn't strike me as being in character or in the character of the tribe. On a personal level this character felt like Hellboy in some respects when I was thinking about horns, in the sense that if in the tribe have large horns was a sign of importance this character would have broken his off to rebel against that. I decided the race were more utilitarian in their evolution, they had no need for displays of dominance through unwieldy horns.


No comments:

Post a Comment