Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Iced Donut

This morning I have been delving further into the world of texturing, this time looking at 3D procedural textures. Procedural textures and textures made within maya using mathematical algorithems. When I first learned to textures (on my fruitbowl and banana) that was also made with procedural textures, the difference being that they were 2D procedural textures. 3D procedural textures are applied using a process known as projection. The reason for this is that not all surfaces can be easily UV mapped to create nice 2D images to texture in photoshop. Lots of organic models for instance can have areas that arean't simple to unwrap. This is when a projection can be used to project a texture straight onto the model bypassing UVs. However the downside to using procedural textures is that they often look computer generated and a bit artificial. So often you still have to make a texture but instead of mapping it too the UVs project it too the model instead. Here is my Iced Donut in a stage near completion. The only things I would like to do to the model is to bake the procedural texture to the model (this allows me to move and deform the model without the texture being altered) and then apply an animation lattice to allow me to create natural looking deformations to the donut. The I would duplicate the model and create a composition and light the scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment