Tuesday, March 9, 2010

'Stang

Here is a work in progress of the P51 Mustang I am modeling to help hone my hard surface modeling skills. I had got a fair bit further than I have in this render, but then realised something was going wrong with my low res poly mesh. For some reason the edges were curving rather that being a very angular mesh. This was causing my sub div proxy to do all manner of weird things, I spent some time sifting through my history seeing if I could find the cause (I thought maybe I had some how smoothed my base mesh) but when I found nothing I deciding to go back through my previous saves until the mesh once again resembled what it was supposed to (as such both the tail extrusions needed to be done again). However this taught me some valuable lessons. Keep history until you are sure you don't need it any more (luckily I had, however in this case it wasn't very enlightening as to what I had done wrong) and save regularly that way if you make a mistake that can't be fixed by going through history then you can at least step back a few saves. On this note I might investigate and see if maya has an autosave function I can enable to help this situation and also potential computer crashes if I start doing something that actually challenges my computing power. Anyway for now enjoy my half finished plane:

No comments:

Post a Comment