Friday, January 29, 2010

Task O' the Week






This week we've been slowing dipping into the world of plasticine character based animation, this week we were concentrating on sculpting heads. I choose to base my sculptures on the character designs I made during the Illusion of Life module. So Vaughnie the Viking is making his comeback but it three dimensions. To sculpt the heads I used styrophome balls to bulk the head out but keep it light. Then I lightly covered the ball in plasticine and began to sculpt up from there. I learnt a valuable lesson in that if using more than one colour of plasticine start light and go progressively darker. This stops transfer on my fingers darkening or dirtying the light coloured plasticine. Once I had built the heads I took a selection of photos using a DSLR (which it turns out I am useless at using) and lighting them with in different ways with a 650w spotlight. I also tried using a piece of red tracing paper to give off a red hue, but it was very pale. Next time I think it would work better with a transparent coloured plastic sheet.

No comments:

Post a Comment