Thursday, January 14, 2010

More Stopmotion Animation

I've started to really get into stopmotion animation (at the moment still using stickfas figures) and so I made two more short clips today. I decided to spend some time working on walk cycles as I felt this is an area I just need to know like the back of my hand. So armed with a stickfas figure and the Animator's Survival Guide by Richard Williams I set about making a walk cycle. First of all unlike the walk cycle that I helped make in the group session on tuesday, this walk cycle is not made using replacement technique. I found that technique far too much of a headache due to not having either eight or sixteen figures to effectively make a walk cycle. This does mean that the walk cycle is lacking some of the smoothness you get by using replacement as my eye for creating a really smooth animtion is not going to be as good as those who have spent many more years doing this. For my first cycle I chose to do the walk cycle on eights but doubled it to draw it out a little bit longer.


I am pleased with the walk cycle, I think it runs smooth enough although I think I can catch a glimmer of a slightly out of place action somewhere in the middle. Following the walk cycle I decided to try something new and opted to make my character run. This however turns out to be a little bit trickier that anticipated purely because I am not yet used to stopmotion and that your model will not float in mid air on nothing but good will. As a result I have to stack the feet with blu tack (my only readily available resource) in order to give the impression of the character being off the ground. The animation works quite well but is only just passable in points where the character should have less contact with the ground.


Minor problem I realise you cant loop videos on blogger, sorry bout that.

No comments:

Post a Comment