Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Render Test

Its nearly that fun time again, its been nearly a year since I've actually had to sit down and render out an animation (I'm normally all about the realtime rendering because it's well realtime). With the business module coming to a close I am just wrapping bits up finishing and tweaking bits and bobs. There have been some big gaps in the posting of this work so over the next couple of days I'll have a big catch up and post everything I've been working on. This is a little render test I have done to get an idea for the feel of the 3D elements of the animation. This project has been a really interesting learning curve for me as I have tried to get better at creating simple stylised work withing maya, but also the use of 2D and 3D in the program. I've also been taking a bit of time to learn some more about rendering techniques despite it not being something I normally use in my work. This render is very simple, I used maya software for rendering out the diffuse layer and mental to render an occlusion pass. I normally bake out occlusion passes into texture for my game character work, but that would have required me to uv map a large number of assets that were only going to receive very basic texturing. And because it wasnt completely necessary unlike working for games I decided to save time in the modelling and texturing stage and add a bit at render time. This has been composited together in photoshop, although I may end up using aftereffects for composite to together finshed clips, depending on how much freedom I get to play around it AE. So the workflow is looking to be; render out passes in Maya, compile images for diffuse, and occlusion in separate movie clips in Adobe Premiere, then open clips in After Effects to composite them together. I had also originally planned to composite over a background so the animation looks like its happening in a school exercise book, I am currently looking at my different alpha channels to see how possible this will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment