Friday, May 20, 2011

Unreal Level Walkthrough

I posted up a selection of screenshots to try and demonstrate the work I've been doing in the unreal engine to familiarise myself with it, and I now feel very comfortable as an artist doing the things I am likely to be working on in there. However what I had really wanted to do was to take a screen recording of my wandering around the small level to show it off. So this evening I downloaded a trial for camtasia studios, it looks at little more professionl than having fraps in the corner of your screen. And set about recording the video. I have to apologise for the jumping, the frame rate I dont think is excellent as I recorded the video in full screen mode (which on my comps native resolution of 1920 by 1080 is pretty big) and seeing as it gets compressed down to internet resolution I would have been better running a smaller window to try and squeeze a better framerate out of it. All so unreal's camera tends to be a bit twitch-y with a sort of motion blur effect, I havent yet got to the stage of changing things like that so again I apologise. But all in all I am pleased with how quick I've been picking up the editor. I can create a rough bsp block out of the level, assign materials to it, populate the level with static meshes (the ones in the level are all from Unreal tournament 3) and light the level. I have also spent a lot of time looking at the material editor in particular because as an artist that is the area I am most likely to be spending time working on. I still need to spend a bit more time playing around with tools such as kismet and matinee. Matinee is a bit more simple and having animated in programs and used video editing it wont take long to adjust to it. Kismet is a new thing for my but has huge potential as its essentially a visual way of writing lots of events that normally would require code to implement. Anyway here is a quick walkthrough of my test level enjoy.

Untitled from Toby Rutter on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment