Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Bloodhound cont.

As per usually bloggings fell behind a bit over the holidays. Theres been a little bit of a gap but I'm back working on my current portfolio piece and its coming along rather well. In the last post I was just getting to the stage when I was happy with the block forms of the character, making sure everything was in proportion etc. Now I am at a stage where for most of the character I am just tidying up the surface detail. In this turntable video there is quite a bit that needs to be toned down. all the tubing is just placeholder geometry at this stage and thats all being built in maya. The hands have had very little time spent on them something I need to remedy to get them looking as good as the rest of the model. I also need to build the characters footwear, I'm not entirely sure what direction to take this in, all I know is I dont want him barefoot. Once the footwear starts the take shape it'll be easier for me to finish of the trousers and they are looking a bit strange down at the bottom. Overall I'm pretty pleased with the trousers. these can be hard to model at the best of times especially when they arent being restricted by knee pads etc and you have the material flowing straight down the leg. I've rebuilt them completely at least once and when I am happy with them I'll start ripping them a bit to add some much needed detail. Im also working on the characters prostetic arm in maya along with the detailing for the tubes but I've hit a little bit of a wall of trying to work out exactly what I want it to look like on a detail level. I want to do it right so I'm trying not to rush over it, hence why I've spent a bit more time on the zbrush work right now. I have also started to polypaint the areas of the torso I am happy with. By the end of the hols I want the zbrush character and textures finished and if I'm lucky the low poly realtime character. Although this really wont take too long to do. Part of the reason for my gap with the zbrush work has been due to spending a lot of time with tutorials learning how to use the unreal engine. So I think once the characters finished and posed I will build a small set using the unreal engine to render him in to make it portfolio worthy.

Untitled from Toby Rutter on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment