Saturday, January 22, 2011

Drawing

This posts label is actually deceiving, as this drawing wasn't drawn from life, and neither have I cheated by drawing from a photo. Recently I've been spending as much time as I can spare going through anatomy books and generally practising anything that will help me properly understand the human anatomy and proportion. The general idea has followed a similar style to the french method of sculpture called ecorche (there should be some accents in there but I can't remember how to insert them on keyboards) in which the sculptor models the skeleton first, then the layers of muscles and finally the skin. The idea being that by understanding everything this is under the skin, the bones that give the figure its shape and proportion, the muscles and how they allow the body and the skin to move, that when the finally come to adding the skin and surface detail they have incredibly accurate sculptures. The theory is that once you fully understand what is underneath from many angles (I've been working in front, side and back orthographic views and also creating 3/4th view drawings) you can create a very detailed study of the human form. Over this year I have really learnt the lesson of making sure that you actually understand what you are trying to create or reproduce (not just in drawing but in animation, modelling, texturing etc) to properly create a human figure in 3D model form you must actually know how it looks from all angles rather than having an idea and filling in the gaps with how you mind thinks it looks rather than knowing how it looks. The same goes for animations, how can you create a realistic movement if you dont understand what you are doing during that movement, hence why the animators always try and act out what they are animating. I hope you enjoy the drawing its far from perfect but I feel its a huge improvement and a good progression to where I want to be with my drawings.


No comments:

Post a Comment